The Alphacool released new series of NexXxos GPX coolers for VGA. In this tutorial we are going to have a detailed look at how to mount Alphacool NexXxoS GPX – Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 M01 with Backplate on Asus Strix Geforce GTX 980 OC graphics card. If you want to check if there is already a GPX cooler for your specific graphics card, just click the following link Alphacool NexXxoS GPX and the configurator will guide you through the rest of the search process. Let’s start with short product unboxing and description.
The package design is actually very nice, but more important is the fact that it should protect the product as much as possible. The thin wall package is really not the optimal protection for this kind of product which is not cheap at all. We wish to see the cooler body is better protected in hard-foam or at least thicker carton packaging. So Alphacool has definitively the room for improvement here. But the product arrived without any damage.
The installation instructions are in three languages ( english/german/french) and very simple.
Solid aluminium body is quite heavy but very sturdy. The black glossy anodized surface gives the cooler very nice look. We can see many cutouts for higher capacitors.
The water block is kind of universal for all GPX cooler, what may help you in future. Just do ask for the specific heatsink + backplate for your future graphics card, which may save you some money.
The waterblock itself is providing some additional cooling to the heatsink as it is actually connected to it with little thermal paste between.
The patented technology “Philips structure” from the Alpha NexXxoS XP in 2004, was further developed improving the base plate. The Fins and channel structure has been further refined. The fins are now 0.5 x 0.5 mm and 2.5 mm high. This enables a very large and rapid heat transfer from the copper to the coolant.
A new sophisticated injection system means the GPU is actively cooled. All other chips are sufficiently cooled by the passive cooler which is also in contact with the watercooling block for extra efficiency.
So how do we mount the GPX cooler on ASUS GTX-980 Strix OC graphics card? Actually pretty easy.
1. Loosen the four screws which holds the original ASUS cooler. Then carefully open it and unplug the fan power connector.
2. Continue to remove more crews as we marked with red color on the picture below.
3. For main cooler use thermal pads from RED package. Cut to appropriate size(if not already pre-cut) and place included thermal pads on VRM and other parts as show on the picture below.
4. We cleaned old thermal paste (with Phobya Cleaningkit) and used a new one. We recommend not to use too much thermal paste, maybe one or two drops and you can also spread it over the surface creating thin layer.
5. Do not forget to remove the protection foil from the cooler block contact area. Carefully place the cooler onto the graphics card and try to not move with it at all. Very useful thing during mounting process is the hard foam we found inside the graphics card package. So why not use it as spacer between desk and cooler? This way you keep your card parallel to desk.
6. For mounting backplate we cut and position the thermal pads from YELLOW package first, then carefully put the backplate on and insert screws.
We recommend to insert 4 screws around the GPU as first. Tighten them lightly and continue to add other RED marked screws. Now you can tighten them all and also add BLUE marked screw at last. Be careful not to tight too much those last 3 Blue marked screws otherwise the backplate will deform.
Alphacool NexXxoS GPX Features :
SLI mode: The inlet and outlet are positioned of easy use in SLI mode. Up to four graphics cards can also be connected with the Alphacool GPX SLI connector. (Available separately)
Back plate: The GPX range always Includes a back plate which uses small passive fins to cool rear of the graphics card.
Cooling fins: The passive front plate cooling uses 18mm deep cooling fins that cover the rest of the graphics card completely.
Alphacool NexXxoS GPX Scope of delivery:
1x VGA cooler
1x Back plate