Antec High Current Pro HCP-850 Platinum Review
We have been quite curious about Antec’s High Current Pro HCP-850 Platinum power supply. Antec is offering this fully modular power supply with a revolutionary 20+8-pin MBU socket for the needs of tomorrow. Behind the production of this power supply is Delta Electronics which is more known for reliable server grade power supply and it’s one of the largest power supply manufacturer. Antec’s High Current Pro Platinum series is available in three different Wattages: 850W, 1000W and 1300W to cover the needs for power hungry systems as well. Should this not be enough for your extreme power hungry system, well the Antec got your back, with using the small OC Link connector you are able to connect a second HCP Platinum power supply to work in tandem together. It allows to start two compatible PSU to power up simultaneously. But let’s have a look inside the box.
We are happy to see hard foam protection and the power supply itself as well as cables nicely packed inside bag. The whole package was sleeved in a plastic foil just to prevent any dust or humidity to get inside of this precious product. Besides the heavy PSU unit and a bunch of cables in its own bag, we found also some velcro cable ties, a product overview information sheet and some screws.
Back side of PSU is vented, using well known hexagonal mesh structure. The proper cooling is provided by 7 Blade 135 mm quiet fan. Thermal Manager – An advanced low voltage fan control for optimal heat & noise management is taking control over fan RPM. One of the useful features is the small OC Link connection allowing extreme users to link two similar models. Thus, you start two of this PSUs simultaneously.
The fully modular setup is giving us the freedom of choice, which port would you like to use for selected cable. This may give you not only a better ventilation inside the case, but also less cable mess. And frankly, who likes to have the case full of useless cables anyway, if you don’t need them.
The fan grille is aesthetically pleasant and it’s removable, should you wish to paint it yourself. The fan itself is also made by Delta Electronics model Delta 13525 AFB1312M 135mm DC 12V 0.38A. On lower loads almost inaudible as it runs on low RPM as well.
Cables are darken and well sleeved. Long enough for big tower cases as well. No issues there at all.
There are two CPU power cables. One is 8Pin EPS 12V and another is 8Pin(4+4) ATX12V/EPS12V.
One 20+4Pin motherboard power cable as well as one massive dual 8Pin (6+2) PCIE power cable for powering of two graphics cards together. Futhermore, we could find another two PCIE typical 8Pin(6+2) cables as well as Molex cables.
Three individual SATA power cables, each with 3x SATA connectors. And last but not least the OC link cable.
Let’s get little bit deeper and have a look at the internal structure of this PSU. As we can see also Antec is using nothing else than high quality Japanese Heavy-Duty high-performance capacitors to ensure DC stability and regulation.
Antec High Current Pro HCP-850 Platinum Specifications:
• 850W Continuous Power – Guaranteed 850W of Continuous Power from Antec
• 80 PLUS® PLATINUM certified – Up to 94% efficient
• AQ7 – Antec Quality 7 year warranty and lifetime global 24/7 support
• 16-pin Socket – Industry-leading 16-pin sockets double the modular connectivity by supporting 2 different 8-pin cables per socket and allow for future connector changes
• 28(20+8)-pin MBU socket – World’s first socket for possible future MBU connectors
• 135 mm DBB Silence – Whisper-quiet high-quality double ball bearing fan with long lifetime
• Thermal Manager – An advanced low voltage fan control for optimal heat & noise management
• High Current Rails – 4 High Current +12V rails with high load capabilities ensure maximum CPU & GPU compatibility
• 100% +12V – Output for maximum CPU & GPU support
• Multi PCI-E – 6 PCI-E connectors for multiple GPU support
• OC Link™ – Allows 2 HCP Platinums to work in tandem to power the most demanding systems
• CircuitShield™ – Full suite of industrial grade protections: Over Current Protection (OCP), Over Voltage Protection (OVP), Under Voltage Protection (UVP), Short Circuit Protection (SCP), Over Power Protection (OPP), Over Temperature Protection (OTP), Surge & Inrush Protection (SIP), No Load Operation (NLO) & Brown-Out Protection (BOP)
• All Japanese Heavy-Duty Caps – All high-performance Japanese capacitors ensure tightest DC stability and regulation
• PhaseWave™ Design – A server-class full-bridge LLC design with a synchronous rectification based on a DC-DC topology
• Stealth Wires – All wires darkened for minimal visibility in chassis
As we do not poses the expensive testing equipment, we recommend you to visit this Link at jonnyGURU.com for deeper and more scientific measurements and detailed test results.
We are using this PSU in one of our testing machines for over one month already. It is actually a short time in comparison with how long this high-end PSU is meant to properly work. We have tested the PSU with our overclocked systems as well. Even during higher loads we haven’t found any issues at all. Antec has changed some components from its previous version of this exact Antec High Current Pro HCP-850 Platinum model. They are using the Rubycon Caps now. The quality of both Rubycon as well as Nippon chemi-con caps are at the highest level, so there should be no consideration of quality degradation at all.
excellent voltage stability
excellent ripple suppression
amazing build quality
OC Link option
7 years warranty